It’s a big month for the Kentucky Press Association.
On Sunday, January 13, KPA will officially be 150 years old, tracing itself back to January 13, 1869, when a group of publishers from across the state met in downtown Frankfort to form a “society” that would eventually be known as the Kentucky Press Association.
The official celebration of the 150th Anniversary takes place Thursday, January 24, with an Anniversary Gala planned for the opening night of the KPA Winter Convention. That takes place at the Marriott East Hotel just outside Louisville. The convention concludes Friday evening, January 25, after the presentation of the 2018 Excellence in Kentucky Newspapers news contest awards.
The gala will feature a silent auction, with the proceeds benefitting the Kentucky Journalism Foundation’s internship program, as well as the Changing of the Guard, with 2018 KPA President Peter Baniak passing the gavel to 2019 KPA President Jay Nolan. Items are being accepted for the silent auction. If you have an item to donate to the auction, please contact David T. Thompson at KPA immediately at 502-223-8821.
If you have not received an invitation to the 150th Anniversary Gala, contact KPA and one will be sent.
To make hotel reservations at the Marriott East in Louisville or to register for the convention or to view the convention schedule, go to www.kypress.com and click on KPA Winter Convention at the top of the page.
To order your own copy of John Nelson’s look back at the first 150 years of the organization, you can also do that at www.kypress.com by clicking on the “Still, We Speak” artwork.
• Room reservations must be made with the Marriott East by January 8. That’s when the hotel will release any remaining block of KPA rooms to the general public.
• Mugshots of winners in the KPA Ad Contest and KPA News Contest must be received at KPA by January 8. Email the mugshots or creative pictures of winning groups to firstname.lastname@example.org before January 8.
• John Nelson’s bookm “Still, We Speak,” on the first 150 years of the Kentucky Press Association, is being offered at a discounted price of $28 (including tax and shipping) until January 14. To order a copy or for more information, to go http://www.kypress.com/stillwespeak/ After January 14, the book price is $29 and does not include the required state sales tax or shipping.
• Convention registration deadline is Wednesday, January 16.
• Deadline to reserve a spot at either the KPA Ad Contest luncheon or KPA News Contest banquet is Wednesday, January 16. The Ad Contest presentation will be on Friday, January 25, at 12 noon; the News Contest banquet is scheduled for Friday, January 25, at 7 p.m., following a reception at 6 p.m. All times are Eastern Time.
Questions about the convention, the Anniversary Gala, for an invitation to the gala or anything else associated with the convention, please call KPA at 502-223-8821.
While you’re in the celebration mood with the 150th and the Convention (and the legislature coming back to Frankfort on Tuesday), go ahead and order your copy of “Still, We Speak.”