Journalism Competition and Preservation Act (JCPA) NEWSROOM REPORT – May 13, 2021
Thursday’s update on the importance of local journalism, the threat posed by Google and Facebook, and how you can take action to support the JCPA
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- A steady drumbeat of editorial support of the JCPA from local publications has continued into the week, with the Arizona Republic, Cincinnati Enquirer, Columbus Dispatch, Providence Journal, and more voicing their support over the past day.
- Why It Matters: Knowledge and support of the JCPA is gaining momentum among local journalists across the country, indicating a promising future for industry engagement on the issue.
- POLITICO reported that big tech critic Lina Khan won bipartisan approval from the Senate Commerce Committee on Wednesday, earning support from all but four GOP members. Her nomination to the Federal Trade Commission will move to a full Senate vote.
- Key Quote: “Khan’s support from Republicans – eight of the panel’s 12 GOP members voted in her favor – may indicate growing bipartisan appetite for reining in major online platforms like Google, Facebook and Apple.”
- An Axios/Harris 100 brand reputation poll shows that public opinion of most Big Tech companies has declined, with Google seeing the largest drop in sentiment.
- Why It Matters: The poll points to a larger trend among the American public of increasing distrust or disdain toward many large technology companies – especially Google and Facebook.
- Arizona Republic (Phoenix, AZ): Google, Facebook get rich off local news without paying us a dime for it. That must end
- Columbus Dispatch (Columbus, OH): Our view: Facebook, Google have grown strong on the back of news publishers Now they must pay.
- Cincinnati Enquirer (Cincinnati, OH): Editorial: Google, Facebook profit from local news without paying for it. That must end
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (Milwaukee, WI): Editorial: News publishers should have the ability to fight for fair compensation from Big Tech. Congress can help.
- York Daily News (York, PA): Congress needs to step up to the plate to protect and defend local news
- The Intelligencer (Bucks County, PA): Congress needs to step up to the plate to protect and defend local news
- Fayetteville Observer (Fayetteville, NC): Our View: Local newsrooms deserve fair compensation from Facebook, Google
- Providence Journal (Providence, RI): Opinion/News Media Alliance: Congress must protect local journalism from Big Tech
- Sun Prairie Star (Sun Prairie, WI): Congress needs to support the Journalism Competition and Preservation Act
- Missoulian (Missoula, MT): Bill is critical to local journalism’s future
- Daily Inter Lake (Kalispell, MT): Bill critical to journalism’s future
- Burlington County Times (Westhampton, NJ): Congress needs to step up to the plate to protect and defend local news
- Courier Post (Cherry Hill, NJ): Congress needs to step up to the plate to protect and defend local news
- Whitefish Pilot (Whitefish, MT): Support needed for bill critical to local journalism’s future
- Breitbart: Republican Ken Buck Stands Up for Embattled Liz Cheney
NOTABLE ON SOCIAL
- Columbus Dispatch @DispatchAlerts – May 13, 2021 (195.4k followers): Our view: Facebook, Google have grown strong on the back of news publishers Now they must pay. dispatch.com/story/opinion/…
- Kyle Morris @RealKyleMorris – May 12, 2021 (116.2k followers): EXCLUSIVE — Sen. @MarshaBlackburn says she is opposed to JCPA, which would allow establishment media outlets to form a cartel to pressure big tech companies for more censorship and special favors with a special media antitrust exemption. breitbart.com/politics/2021/…
- Courier-Post @cpsj – May 12, 2021 (11k followers): “Google and Facebook use — and benefit from — our news content and audiences, but they don’t return value to news publishers. That’s why we’re asking Congress to support the Journalism Competition and Preservation Act.” https://t.co/t0YFVeVIX1
- Josh Jongsma @jongsmjo – May 12, 2021 (1.5k followers): Quality local journalism is essential to creating an informed and engaged public and ensuring a thriving democracy. That’s why we’re asking Congress to support the Journalism Competition and Preservation Act. northjersey.com/in-depth/opini… @CoryBooker @SenatorMenendez
- Liz Johnson @sourcherryfarm – May 12, 2021 (1.2k followers): “Google and Facebook use — and benefit from — our news content and audiences, but they don’t return value to news publishers. That’s why we’re asking Congress to support the Journalism Competition and Preservation Act.” northjersey.com/in-depth/opini…
SUGGESTED ACTION STEPS
- Recommended Social Posts:
- “Quality local journalism is essential to creating an informed and engaged public and ensuring a thriving democracy. But local journalism has been a victim of Big Tech’s dominant practices for years.” @azcentral’s editorial board supports a #SafeHarbor4News https://bit.ly/2SEIzKi
- .@Enquirer’s editorial board is asking Congress to support the Journalism Competition and Preservation Act – because the quality reporting they provide for their community is worth fighting for. https://bit.ly/3hnyhIV
- Retweet Columbus Dispatch’s tweet to their op-ed in support of the JCPA.
- Join the “Future of News” Conference:
o On June 10, the Financial Times will host a digital conference called “Future of News: On the road to recovery?” Alliance members can register and get a special discount here. Explore the agenda here, which features speakers like White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki and Australian Competition and Consumer Commission Chairman Rod Sims.